Thursday, April 10, 2008

Windows...

Tiarna Jade Riches

(Photography by myself)




Wilderness is a place to rediscover our own wildness

Peter Cock, from Monash University, validly wrote the above statement in his work called “Soulfulness from Place” (pg 6). I see this slightly differently however. I have always been fascinated by windows, and have found my own freedom and “wildness” by observing. In my mind, windows symbolize curiosity and knowledge. Curiosity is a major personality trait of mine, and knowledge is what I want to spend my life obtaining. Windows, in this sense reminds me of myself.

My bedroom window is my sanctuary. As one would find peace in nature- I find my peace simply observing it. From my window I can see the trees, the vines, and the vast sky stretched out above. Some nights, when life becomes a little too stressed, or chaotic, I sit at my window in silence, observing the calmness or pure nature. The gentle winds caress the leaves, while the cloudy sky encompasses the moon, and pours a soft and soothing light onto the world.








I taste the early morning dew; the crisp fresh air beckoning me outside with its purity. I smell the dawning new day and the new air from the nature in front of me. As I take in these senses, I can see that each tree and each leaf has its own unique shade of green, purple, and yellow. As the seasons change, I notice my own special secret garden change colour. This changes the way I feel also- in winter, I see a somewhat sad and mysterious atmosphere out my window. However, in spring, the view seems more cheerful and bright. All of these atmospheric feelings have strong emotional impacts on me, and all of them are beautiful. Peter Cock explains this in his work Soulfulness from Place, by writing that “Spirituality is also available through observation of what is happening with the rest of nature” (pg 4).


The feeling I get most from gazing out of my window is hope, mystery, and the excitement of the unknown. Also, being a believer in reincarnation, the view reminds me of some familiar scenery from what could be a past life of mine.





Living in the same room for thirteen years, I have a strong connection with that view from my window, and I have learnt to feel the energies of nature even though I am not standing in it, but through admiring and observing.

***

The window nearest to my desk at work is somewhat different to my window at home. First of all, the window does not open- which makes me feel claustrophobic and caged. The view through this window is harsh and modern- which is, I suppose, beautiful to some. I, however, have never been one to enjoy that much modernism.




There are buildings and shops outside the window at work, sitting across the busy, yet sadly lifeless road. I can see two trees, but they are embedded in concrete, trapped and strangled, next to the passing cars and tarred black ground.

The view from my window is cold and blank. All I can seem to think about is the waste of paper from the amount of printing being done, and the claustrophobic air conditioning around me. There is no pleasant smell besides the green tea which constantly sits in front of me. There is no taste besides the sickly aftertaste from licking envelopes. The atmosphere from this window makes me feel dismal, and I often resort to closing the blinds to focus on other things.

This window is the first window I have been so disappointed in gazing out of. I can usually find beauty in any window- my world is a window through my eyes. Somehow though, this view strikes me as somewhat offensive. I do not agree with the almost complete absence of natural energy, because it is not good for the soul and discouraging in a place where one should be inspired to work. As Jan Lundberg, author of Culture Change, validly states in one of her articles, “When we attempt to cut ourselves off from nature we engage nature in an unusual, deadly way” (5:1). Also, Peter Cock agrees with this by stating that “These pressures [modern technology, etc] all come together to deprive us of soul from place” (pg2).

I must say though, sometimes, I can see the distant mountains beyond the buildings out of that window, and it lets me hope, and smile in anticipation of seeing nature more closely when I get home.

I must say, I much prefer my secret garden window at home, to the almost lifeless window at my work. However, even in the most polluted of sceneries, there are still tiny pieces of nature- you just have to focus on them and be happy that nature’s energies will always be around you, no matter where you are.



Cock, P. 2008, Soulfulness from Place, Social & Sacred Ecology, http://socialsacredecology.org/system/files/SoulFromPlace.pdf

Lundberg, J. June 2004, Separation from Nature Impossible despite Rising Social Alienation, Culture Change, http://www.culturechange.org/e-letter-separation.html

No comments: