Sunday, March 16, 2008

The Sacred Farm




Andrew Bone

The place that I find that is the most sacred place to me is my Grandfather’s farm in Bundaberg. This is a place where I found that I was most at peace and it is a very nostalgic place for me. The memories of going there for holidays when I was a child are some of the best memories I have. When I feel down and depressed, I just think about the farm and I calm down and centre myself. Thinking about being there gives me power to transcend myself. The serenity and nature from all the different surroundings give me a pastel of emotions that allow me to feel connected to the whole essence of nature (Cook, P. 2008). The various different plants had so many tastes, smells, colours. I felt the power from nature on the farm.

The mango tree that had a tree house was one of my favourite places to be. The cottage that my grandfather built for us was another place where I felt calm and happy. However, the fondest memory I have is when I would wake up most mornings ride the bike around and around the paddock. Being out in the opening in the full sun in the morning felt like it was radiating inside me and giving its energy. All of these memories and experiences are very special to me. They allow me to relax into the essence of nature (Cook, P. 2008). My soul felt at peace being on the farm and being with my family, who also brought a sense of closeness to each other and nature. My connection to nature was restored there.

In contrast to living within the city and being in an industrialised world. I tend to lose my perspective on nature that I used to get when I was on the farm. I live in a metropolitan city which is growing at an astronomical rate. I sometimes think that we might be losing our connection to the earth and our own sacred spaces (Cook, P. 2008). Everything in the city is rush, rush, rush, constantly moving and going places. Sometimes the suffocation of not being able to breath in the fresh air of earth depresses me. The city is metal, black, cold and grimy. I always felt different being in such places of infrastructure (Cook, P. 2008). Looking up in the city seeing how the sky scrapers block out the view to the sun and sky. However, being on the farm in an open space, looking up and only seeing the sun and stars at night cleared my mind.

However, a sacred place is someone’s own place in the world in which they feel perfectly at home. Be they in the country/wilderness or possibly in the cities. My own view is that without escaping to the country and reconnecting to it, I could not stay within the city. Being in the country allows me to think straight and get perspective on life the universe and everything.

By juxtaposing these two different places, my sacred place vs. city life. I cannot help but think both of these different environments are integral to sustaining a connection with my soul to nature (Cook, P. 2008). I would hope that everyone has a sacred place in the world. That everyone can think of somewhere where they are completely at peace and find a connection to something. Hopefully find the power from the essence of nature (Cook, P. 2008).

References

Cock, P. 2008. Soulfulness From Place. Social & Sacred Ecology. Accessed on 12th March 2008 Online available at: http://socialsacredecology.org/system/files/SoulFromPlace_0.pdf


No comments: